Updated 01/14/2013 04:57 PM
Christmas decorations spark fire at DPW building
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. -- Christmas decorations sparked a fire in the Department of Public Works building in Pittsfield. The fire started around 8:45 a.m. on the second floor.
Firefighters say Christmas decorations were stored too close to a gas heater, starting the flames.
One firefighter was taken to the hospital for burns to the neck and ears but was later released.
"We found heavy smoke emitting from the garage, upper levels, from the windows at the time of our arrival. Our response was fairly quick because we have a station that’s probably a thousand yards down the road. The initial report was that we had a fire on the second floor," said Michael Polidoro, Pittsfield Fire Department.
Firefighters say the building itself has minor damage.